Steel Pipe Waterline Strengthened with Long-Term Repair
- Innovative repair method using STRUCTURAL TECHNOLOGIES’ StrongPIPE® V-Wrap™ CFRP system
- Repair was specifically engineered for the client and project
- Repairs completed in a short outage
- Location: United States
- Specialty Contractor: STRUCTURAL
- Material Supplier: STRUCTURAL TECHNOLOGIES
- Engineer of Record: STRUCTURAL TECHNOLOGIES
An 18” steel pipe waterline area needed emergency repairs as signs of deterioration and cracking began to show.
STRUCTURAL was contracted to design and install a repair using STRUCTURAL TECHNOLOGIES’ StrongPIPE® V-Wrap™ CFRP system. This method provided a long-term, custom engineered solution that strengthened the pressure pipe during a short outage.
The existing soil was excavated to identify the extent of the vertical cracks on the pipe which were sealed with hydraulic cement. A moisture tolerant epoxy mortar was installed to create a slope over the flange area. Using the V-Wrap CFRP™ system, the piping was wrapped. Stainless-steel clamps were fastened for additional strengthening and new surrounding concrete was formed.